Applications for participating in the fourth “Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit” are open. The conference will be held in Oslo on 23-24 October 2019 and will be open for young stakeholders, problem solvers and sustainability champions below 35 years old.
It will be co-hosted by the Sustainable Ocean Alliace and the university of Tromsø, with the partecipation of the Norwegian ministry of Foreign Affairs. The theme for 2019 is “Co-creating the Sustainable Blue Economy”
The summit is taking place in the framework of the “Our Ocean” Conference. The mission of the conference is to gather together all the most important stakeholders at global level involved in one of the most challenging issues of nowadays: preserving the ocean. There will be representatives of governments, industry, science and civil society, discussing and working together to find a balance between the market’s demands and the safety of the environment. The “Our Ocean” conferences were initiated by Secretary of State John Kerry in 2014, with the aim to put oceans on the foreign policy agenda and create a platform where leaders from government, business and civil society meet on an equal footing to promote action and innovation for clean, healthy and productive oceans.
The Sustainable Ocean Alliance, based in San Francisco, aims at preserving the ocean with a collective worldwide action, spreading beyond national borders. Following the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal Number 14, SOA implemented two programmes: Ocean leadership programme and Ocean solutions accelerator. The Ocean leadership programme foresees a joint action between young people from all over the world: they apply to become Ocean leaders and then they can ideate, implement and create campaigns and advocacy campaigns, through so-called Ocean solutions Hubs.
Three main topics for this fourth “Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit”: inspire, inform, empower. The participants will get the chance to build holistic solutions that better balance the needs of society, industry and the ocean environment. The participants will get the chance to:
- Participate in a solution-driven bootcamp to apply knowledge and technology that can help us protect our oceans
- Raise your profile and network with 500+ policymakers, corporate leaders, heads of international organizations, foundations, and NGOs
- Receive mentorship and develop your professional skill sets by learning from business, government, and science experts
- Meet with entrepreneurs who are building scalable ocean startups to help protect and sustain our ocean
- Become an #SOAOceanLeader and join our global community represented in over 130 countries.
Applications must be sent before July 5, 2019 11:59pm PST at the following link.