In March 2021, the European Commission made a plan called the “Strategy for the rights of persons with disabilities 2021-2030”
This plan aims to make life better for people with disabilities in Europe and globally.
It follows up on an earlier plan from 2010-2020 that aimed to make Europe more accessible and help people with disabilities be part of society and the economy.
However, even with progress, many people with disabilities still encounter challenges and are more likely to face poverty and feel left out.
Everyone might face a disability at some time, like when getting older, getting sick, or having an accident. This plan makes sure people with disabilities have the same opportunities as everyone else.
The main objectives of this programme
This plan aims to make sure that all people with disabilities in Europe:
- Have their basic rights
- Get the same chances to be part of society and work
- Can choose where and how they live
- Can travel within the EU freely, even if they need support
- Don’t face unfair treatment or discrimination
The new plan aims to support people with disabilities in various ways. It focuses on making places and activities accessible, like voting. The goal is to help them live independently and have a good quality of life without being unfairly treated at work. Additionally, the plan works to ensure they have equal opportunities in areas such as education, sports, and healthcare.
The EU wants to lead by setting a positive example and is committed to promoting the rights of people with disabilities around the world.
Some flagship initiatives
Within the program you can find numerous initiatives and future goals that aim to promote and improve the lives of people with disabilities. These goals include:
- AccessibleEU will share helpful information about accessibility
- There will be a European Disability Card for all EU countries by the end of 2023. This card will help people get needed support when traveling within the EU.
- By 2023, there will be advice to help people with disabilities live more independently and be part of their communities.
- There will be guidelines for high-quality social services by 2024.
- There will be efforts to help people with disabilities find jobs.
- The Disability Platform will unite different groups and authorities to support and share ideas about helping people with disabilities.
Do you want to learn more?
If you want to learn more about this topic and see what Europe is doing visit the official website!